Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Shaving My Head To Kick Blood Cancer's Butt!"

Hey Everyone,

An Australian friend of mine, Jaimes Thorpe, is trying to raise $5,000 for Leukemia research. She's participating in the World's Greatest Shave in Australia and is raising funds on Crowdrise for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) here in the US. Once she reaches her goal of $5K, she'll shave her head, so definitely check out the project, "Shaving My Head To Kick Blood Cancer's Butt!" 

I'm helping her out and have my own page, so you'll see I'm a team member when you click the link. Please help her reach her goal if you can, as it such an amazing cause! Thank you.

Michele
P.S. She mentions our "Raising $60K" project, which ended in December, but she's still raising funds for LLS -- so please help. Thanks!

Here's the link again: I Want to Kick Blood Cancer's Butt



Jaimes Thorpe wrote -

OMG ARE YOU *&^% SERIOUS??? That is the usual response when I tell people what I am planning - the answer is YES, I am quite serious ... please read on!


I have had long hair all my life (except for a brief period when I was convalescing after getting thrown from a horse ... long story, tell you another time) and I have always considered my hair to be my best feature. I love having long hair - I love playing with it, twirling with it, dying it, putting it up ... all of those girlie things that girls normally love. That one time I *did* have my hair short, I hated it, even though lots of people told me it really suited me.


... but you know what? It's only hair. It will grow back (I hope!) and if the thought of watching me "sacrifice" such a big part of what makes me, me can motivate people to donate then I'll call that a win :)


The World's Greatest Shave is an Australian fundraising event held every year in March. My official fundraising page can be found at http://my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/jenjam


I am aiming to raise $5000 - if I raise less, my hair will only be coloured. This gives people incencitve to donate (I hope) and helps me raise the most money possible in the 4-odd months that I have to fundraise :)


I have been given permission to link this project to the campaign to raise $60000 in memory of Matt Cwiertny. Matt's family and friends are working to raise $60,000 in Matt's name in association with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walks and with the support of Crowdrise. If we raise $60,000, we will be able to direct the funds to an LLS researcher who is working to find cures for Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) induced lymphomas. While researchers know there is a connection between EBV and lymphoma, they are not sure how EBV causes lymphoma and have not found a way to effectively treat EBV or NK T-cell lymphoma, which Matt suffered from.


Over the coming months I will be uploading a LOT of photos (and maybe a video or two) of my hair from different periods in my life, and I plan to video the actual shaving event in March - trust me, there will be tear ... and alcohol. There will *definitely* be alcohol :|


If you think it's amusing to watch a grown woman crying while having her head shaven OR if you just want to help me KICK BLOOD CANCER'S BUTT please donate what you can afford, join the team, and support me in any way you can ♥

1 comment:

Barrie said...

Neat fundraiser!